Panzer IV Build, "One YEAR in-- and Almost done!" ... Weeks #49 to #53
Well its been a long, long time since an update. I have become months behind. Now I have some inspiration to catch up to the actual, real time build. (in chewable bites or course)
The ongoing saga of the oil pan. Since the drive train path is dictated by the fuel tank section of the hull the engine has to sit super low. The Maybach used a dry sump system and since I don't want the complication of the dry sump system we opted for a shallower pan. We lengthened the oil reserve area of the pan and cut off about 5 inches. Then we shortened the oil pump pickup. We extended the bottom lengthwise to pick up the oil capacity we lost. We also added a windage tray to keep the crankshaft from whipping up the oil .
Then we tested it for leaks and trial fitted it to the block. When it bolted up the windage tray had to be modified because the crankshaft counterweights rubbed...... Not good, but fixed now. The final photo shows how it will sit and the oil level can be checked through the firewall opening. Ease of use will be important later when the tank is finished.
Radiators: Were going with a pair of M113 radiators. They are the right size for dual radiators and the filler neck comes out at a useable angle. The Panzer IV had dual radiators mounted on a slant on the drivers side of the motor compartment.
The idea back in the early 1930's was that the air would be pulled in through one side and through the radiators. The fans are on the other side and would exhaust the warm air out with all the other heat and fumes coming off the engine itself. The fans vented the whole engine compartment and caused the vacuum to draw through the radiators.
Space is starting to disappear. Thankfully Michael fits in there to do the piping. He's the only one who fits so sometimes we find him sleeping in the cool, den like hole. Its his "safe" space.
The Panzer IV steered differently than our FV430 series differential. The Panzer IV turned with a complicated braking system that engaged planetary gears to drop gear ratio. The ratio was fed into he final drives and caused a difference in drive speed causing the tank to drift right or left. Our system uses internal brakes and an open differential. Apply braking to the differential on one side and that causes that side axle to slow down, therefore turning the vehicle.
When the big lever on the side is pulled down it applies braking pressure to internal brake bands. This causes that side slow down the output rotational speed of the axle. It accomplishes the same thing as the original system but this is much easier to come by and simpler.
Now we just have to transfer the hand applied force through rods and bell cranks to yank down on the levers at the top of the differential.
The path is a little busy because it has to miss all kinds of other things, like the drivers seat and such. It also needs to be sturdy enough to not bend or deflect thereby letting all the force slip away through distortion. Needs to be a solid, unyielding connection.
The tillers or steering sticks should appear as close to Panzer IV as practical to keep the ambiance of driving an original Panzer IV. We started with a FV430 series steering stick unit. We had to arrange it so they are flipped.... cuz the British like to drive on the wrong side of a vehicle.
Park brakes are activated by the button on the top of the sticks. They have the general look of original panzer IV. If you squint and blur your vision that is... Here is the final arrangement. The drivers seat is headed for major re-work to match a Panzer IV seat.
Added the Alternator. To heck with a generator and voltage regulator.
Ball MG Travel Lock:
The last phase of the MG mount at the radioman's position is the travel lock. The lock is spring loaded so that when released it flops up out of the way. When locked it holds the MG up and out of the radioman's face (sort of).
This catches things up to the end of October. Got some catching up to do.